Friday, March 20, 2009

Necessary Reminder

"You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
For a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves." - From Mary Oliver's Poem
Wild Geese


Tell. It. Mary Oliver. Tell it! 
I have always loved to bike ride. My first bike was a blue and candy pink number with butterflies and multi-colored streamers flickering from the handle bars. In my childhood, having wheels meant freedom. My gang and I biked to the pool and to the park, biked to explore the islands off the local rivers, biked to picnic, and biked several towns over (this was the serious advantage of growing up overseas where bike paths are everywhere) to hang out for the day. After my parents separated and we moved back to the States, I spent much of my seventh grade year (the worst year e.v.e.r. to be introduced to the American school system), biking the town with my friend and neighbor, Amy. At the time, we lived in a small town with a beautiful lake and lots of hills, so Amy and I would alternately, bike around the lake (7 miles, baby) or climb the steepest hills in our town in order to rest at the top for a few moments and then soar down the hill at full throttle. I began to bike again a few years ago when I plunked down the coin for a good hybrid bike (fat wheels, upright handle bars, no cross bar), but I haven't ridden all winter and now that it is spring, I have been eager to ride again. 

I live in a beautiful semi-rural area and now that I have a car, I have more options to drive out, park, and explore the region by bike. I devoted much of the last week to getting my trunk rack, which has been a whole project (research, reading reviews, and several trips to the bike shop) and I now have a secure trunk rack on my car for my bike that will allow me to tool around my county, park, and ride. Yesterday, I loaded up my bike and went for my first ride of the season out by the nature reserves. It was a windy, cool, sunny and beautiful day. I arrived around six and the parks and paths were almost empty. I biked up the path, over the stream, and alongside the woods. I felt bliss-full, joyous, at peace. I was having trouble with my bike seat - I couldn't get it to budge and therefore was riding too low (a problem I resolved once back at the car where I had the tool I needed to correct the problem), so I did not explore as far as I wanted to, but it felt great just getting out, pedaling, letting the wind wash over me. 

The stress that I had been feeling when I arrived at the park? Vanished. Another reminder, in fact the manillioneth reminder that feeling good is just about feeling good, it is not about actually getting anything solved or resolved. Even more importantly, feeling good does not have much necessary correlation to being good or walking through the dessert on my knees, repenting I am delighted to discover. I needed that reminder. 

1 comment:

GroundedGirl said...

Is it the Quaker drive for creating the kingdom of heaven on earth that leaves us so quick to be harsher on ourselves than we are on others? I have found so much solace in this poem... and appreciate your ministry of presence this morning. Feeling good is exactly just that. A moment in time. Because that's all we get. Blessings, friend. Feel the wind.