Sunday, December 14, 2008

I just called to say I love you

This is a love letter to you, my dear, dear "village".  I have felt your overwhelming support and it has truly made all the difference. I wanted to let you know that I have felt energized and deeply nourished by your tender, loving, care. 

  • DM who accompanied me to my spinal tap, reassured me that these procedures always go better with love, and while I laid down for the mandatory 4-hour post-procedure resting period, read to me from Sara Water's luscious lesbian love story, Tipping the Velvet.  
  • SS who came when I called and helped me figure out the next step after she found me lying on my bed, crying, unable to think clearly or stop throwing up.
  • JR, BK, MM, and SS who visited me in the hospital  and sent e-mails on my behalf       
  • K, B, and A who gave me rides to therapy and the grocery store when walking was a challenge.    
  • MD who sent me the MS Workbook, the Collection of New Yorker cartoons, listened to me as I grappled with being so sick and suggested I keep an illness journal (which helped immensely)
  • LB who listened and said, "tell me about your anger"; LB who promised to come be with me if I needed that soon or in five years  
  • SK who visited from NYC and lolled around with me for a whole weekend--eating good food, watching "candy," lazing around AND sent me a turkey hat (for T-day and funny, sweet note)
  • TP who drove out of her way and stopped by en route to Philadelphia to go out for Korean food and for breakfast, just to see me. 
  • C whom spent oodles of time with me cooking meals including Thai food, taking silly pictures of squash on our heads, and making me laugh, and sending me e-hugs. 
  • EK who organized my birthday, contacted all of my friends, and sent me luscious Zingerman scones made from cream, butter, and sugar.
  • SC who knows how much I love reading memoirs and how inspired I have always been by Natalie Goldberg and sent me an autographed copy of Goldberg's memoir writing book.  
  • KB who gave me a brochure on really neat, useful MS materials including yoga, etc. 
  • APC who embodies my own spirit for cooking and helped me cook up a post T-day storm--creamed cauliflower, pan-seared chicken with sage butter, oven-roasted potatoes dressed with lemon juice, baguettes with fresh pesto and goat cheese. 
  • SS who went with me to the follow-up appointment and heard the Dr. say, "Yes, you have MS" and went to lunch with me afterwards.  
  • S who sent me links to website like passive-agressive notes.com to make me laugh and offered to bring me soup and the entire collection of Freaks and Geeks. 
  • EK who housed and fed me while I was in Philadelphia and came with me to my 2nd opinion appointment.
  • O who gave me wonderful poetry books on the body and spent a soothing, delightful afternoon hanging out with me. 
  • SW who talks to me often, is a wonderful conversationalist, and sent me a great book on a spirited, adventurous chicken!
  • RB who sent me a fun, new food memoir.
  • P who put me into contact with a friend who has MS and is on the drug I plan to go on.  
  • To everyone who called, e-mailed, asked me how I was doing and wanted to hear about my life.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I have felt blessed, fortunate, and loved by each and every one of you. 

No comments: