Monday, December 1, 2008

Jackpot. Score. I spent the morning in a whirl of phone calls. Now, I have an appointment with a neurologist at the University of Pennsylvania's Multiple Sclerosis Center in Philadelphia. He specializes in MS. He graduated from Columbia; he had a fellowship at Harvard and, bonus, he was honored in Philadelphia Magazine's May 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008 Top Docs issue and in Best Doctors in America 2003-2004, 2005-2006, 2007-2008. Woohee! I can not overstate how relieved I am. I have found what I am looking for: experience, expertise, excellence. 

Although I have full confidence that my current neurologist has diagnosed me accurately,  I don't have full confidence in his long-term care and treatment plan. As I have listened to my fears, done some more research, and tuned into my frustrations and growing doubts about my current care, I have realized: Oh. It's not a second opinion on the diagnosis that I need, it's a second opinion on the treatment. MS is a long-haul, long-term progressive disease, and it requires a doctor and treatment plan I can have confidence in. 

Did I mention how relieved I am?

Ever since I made that appointment this morning, I have felt lifted. Yes. I feel good

No comments: