Sunday, December 7, 2008

Last night, I shoved Dave Chapelle's Block Party into my dvd player, pressed play, and laughed, vibed, and grooved for two hours straight. I felt light and light-hearted. Once again, I've proved my motto: Feeling better is just about feeling better [not necessarily about anything actually getting better]. 

When I was at my sickest in the spring--it was the silliest, most content-free media that gave me the most comfort. I've never been a Will Ferrell fan, but I laughed hysterically while watching Blades of Glory--the retro hairdos, the glam costumes, the outrageous physical comedy. I reconnected with my childhood through a link to the on-line Sesame Street video sent to me by a friend; I  watched Cookie Monster sing about the importance of eating vegetables and chuckled. I watched the skit of The Count who returns to the castle with his date. What did you do on your date, count's mother asks. "We counted!" replies the count with such disarming glee, I laughed all the way through his song about counting.  

It's true that I am best known for watching documentaries of intractable social problems, and having the audacity to consider this "a break" or "fun". Now, though, I have cued up my netflix with real fun: silly romantic comedies, muppets movies, and episodes of the office are all on cue. 

No comments: