Friday, December 12, 2008

My trip to Philadelphia was satisfying and nourishing. In a mere 48 hours, I packed it in. I saw several dear friends, I ate my favorite Thai dish, Evil Jungle Princess, and later a divinely tart raspberry sour at the Bubble House. I soaked in the noise (incessant honking, construction clatter, the hum of conversation) and the people (the rent-a-cop directing traffic, the harried waitress, the throngs of hospital workers and college students) and the sights (lunch carts, thirtieth street station, city holiday lights). In the midst of the pulsing, throbbing city, I felt like some comic or cartoon book character, sucking in the energy to renew my own strength. As I drove out of the city after my time in Philadelphia and zoomed down 76 west in a mad rush of four-lanes-in-one-direction-city-traffic, I felt renewed through connecting with the city. And, more importantly, loved and reconnected by sharing some time with my friends whom I love and don't get to see nearly often enough. 

Moreover, the visit with Dr. Wu at the MS Center, was everything I hoped it would be. In the waiting room, I swept up a gazillion MS pamphlets on Yoga, medicinal treatment, etc. Then, when I met with Dr. Wu, I was reassured by his calm, interested manner. He was a good listener, he asked lots of questions and answered all of mine; he laughed at my jokes and made his own. Most importantly, the consultation was thorough. He educated me on all of the medicines, confirmed the diagnosis, reviewed my medical history, and performed a series of neurological tests. He affirmed that I would need to go on medication, but he was more even-handed in his recommendation--suggesting that any of the medicines might make a good choice; it was up to me to decide which risks and side effects I wanted to take on. 

In terms of medication, I still haven't decided on which one I will go on. Do I want to deal with the flu-like symptoms of the interferons and potential liver damage or do I want to deal with the potential, but rare IPIR (instant post injection reaction) that feels like a heart attack?  I'm not sure. 

Yet, I feel light, less preoccupied and much more available, since I have returned. The whole process: tuning into my considerable fear, making plans A-E, doing the footwork, has been so important and crucial. Empowering


No comments: