Friday, April 3, 2009

Right On Time/Ready

I got the call yesterday. My application for financial assistance for medication has been fully approved by The National Organization of Rare Disorders (NORD). Phew! and Hallelujah! In response to the news that I will be covered 100% for 12 months, I gushed on the phone with the representative: "Oh, this is such good news. This is great! Oh! Wow, this is great news!" I am truly grateful. And, not a moment to soon, too. In other words, right on time.

I am glad that I have had several months now to adjust to the idea of daily injections. The idea of the medication side effects of Copaxone have frightened me so much that I needed the time to really work towards feeling comfortable with this new phase in my life. The process of getting comfortable has been intentional and gradual. Honestly, the potential side effect feelings similar to a panic attack have completely trumped any fears I might have of needles or performing self-injections. Here are the steps I have taken:

  • Read several blogs on experiences with Copaxone and got real about the potential side effect
  • Spoke with a friend of a friend who is successfully on Copaxone and very positive 
  • Sought a second opinion for the treatment at the MS Center in the nearest, largest city
  • Spoke to a member of the Copaxone peer-to-peer education team about Copaxone
  • Took an eight-week yoga session to get more in touch with my body and my breath 
  • Had five individual sessions with my yoga teacher (whom I LOVE) to come to terms with the diagnosis and to address my fears of treatment by developing a spiritual practice. 
I had my last session with my dearly beloved yoga instructor today. We agreed that I was in a very different place then when I started working with her. Mainly, I feel that I have settled into myself and I have embraced this journey with Multiple Sclerosis as-gasp-a gift. 

No comments: