Friday, April 3, 2009

Turning Points

When I took the on-line quiz about self-care and chronic illness. A light bulb went off: Oh, I don't have a plan (for dealing with MS). Medication, I ultimately realized, is not a plan. I sprung into action and am enacting the following plan: 

Diet. There are many diet plans for MS (low-fat, gluten-free, anti-candida, etc.). For me, I have deliberately chosen not to believe there is any single one answer, so while I have reviewed the diets that promise a cure from MS and I have taken them into account, I reject the premise of a cure. For me, a cure is too narrow and it doesn't allow me to respond as proactively as I need  to my entire health. And, for me, any suggestion of "the answer" has its dangers. For me, a diet without beans and soy is too narrow. A diet that just emphasizes low-fat doesn't take into consideration all of the information on healthy fat. So, I have chosen the anti-inflammatory diet because it emphasizes whole foods + whole grains + healthy fats + sleep + exercise. Low fat meat and fish are encouraged. Processed foods, hydrogenated oils, and sugar are eliminated or kept to a bare minimum. Some anti-inflammatory advocates caution against night shade vegetables including tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant; the evidence against these vegetables, though, is minimal. For me, I have decided no vegetable is my enemy unless I have a pronounced reaction to it (unbelievably, I am allergic to the all-American, inexpensive, and healthy broccoli). Part of my diet plan is to work on effective substitutions. Instead of chocolate chip cookies, I will eat high cocoa chocolate. Instead of Cherry Garcia Icecream, I will try a bowl of cherries. I have also added a regular, high quality fish oil supplement. 

Exercise. Exercise is an essential component of reducing inflammation and I have chosen to bike. Training for the City to Shore Bike Ride in October is a perfect goal. For the first month, I am mainly building my base on the bike. Now that I have outlined a five-mile circuit that I can do reasonably well, but not completely (still practicing the hills), I have decided to ride this circuit until I can ride it a full week in succession without getting off my bike once. From there, I will build distance. Slowly, I hope to build to 25 miles. I just read a great article on how to ride hills and I can't wait to get out and try it. In the meantime, I realize I need to create a plan "B" for days like today that are wickedly rainy or in the summer are too hot to ride outdoors. 

Sleep. My sleep has been involuntary interrupted for months now and I am trying to get back on track. I have committed to moving my laptop out of my bedroom before I go to bed each night (otherwise, I get sidetracked and delay my bed time or I wake in the middle of the night and get on line for several hours). I often fall asleep with my light on, so my next step is to turn off the light every night. 

Flossing. Don't laugh. Flossing is tied to healthy gums - inflammation of the gums is tied to inflammation in other parts of the body, so flossing regularly is key. Of course flossing includes all aspects of dental hygiene including brushing teeth and regular dentists visits. 

Most importantly, though, is regular doses of laughter, surrounding myself with positive, supportive people, and a positive attitude. I am committed to using MS as an opportunity for growth. And, on a regular basis, doing activities that make me deliriously, deliciously happy including: listening to good music of any kind and live music in particular, riding my bike, and hunkering down with a good memoir. 

Starting the day with the question: What will be most satisfying today? is a great way to move the day in a positive direction. 

No comments: