Monday, August 18, 2008

Coasting, Cruising, or Getting Ready for Change

Uh. A-hem! So, this image puts to shame A-L-L of my whining about needing to become more physically active. LOL. 

I want to become more physically active, but I am intimidated and unsure of how to start. Or, that is, I have decided to participate in a 25 mile charity ride to benefit the Multiple Sclerosis society the weekend of June 18-19, 2009. I can ride 6 miles now. Learning how to ride 4x as much as I can ride now shouldn't be an issue, right? And, it's for a good cause!

Still, although those pesky little doubts emerge. What if I can't handle the terrain or there are too many hills? What if the weather is terrible for riding? What if I can't measure up to the other riders (everyone in the event pictures looks very sporty)? Is it really safe to train by myself (on lonely paths or if I, egads, fall). 

My family wasn't a physically active family; we did not exercise as a family. I did love to bike, though, still do. And, I biked e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e with my little kid-pack of 10-12 year old friends. To the park, to the island for a picnic, to the swimming pool one town over. 

Seems like it's time to channel that pre-teen spirit! 






No comments: