Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Re-Assessing, Re-Stocking, and Heading For New Territory


It's true. These last few years, as I have entered my thirties and life has thrown me around, I have become a bit bitter, cynical even. But, the most recent crisis, three weeks of a "neurological episode" that severely impacted my mobility--I had difficulty seeing, walking, and thinking--jolted me. The potential of an eventual MS diagnosis makes me both deeply grateful for what I have and poignantly aware of how precious my mobility is to me. 

What became so clear to me during my episode is how quickly a chronic illness can shrink your world. And, so, I decided to embrace all the modes of  "travel"--reading, cooking, sight-seeing, traveling, listening to music--that enrich my life daily in an intentional way through this blog. It's a way for me: to actively engage in activities I enjoy, to affirm my zest for life, to strengthen my sense of community, and to live in the questions. In the process, I will interweave my daily reflections with a discussion of the books I am reading, the meals I am cooking, and the traveling I am doing. 

Perhaps most importantly, I want to use this blog to purposefully embrace the spirit of mobility--joy, freedom, meaning, playfulness, curiosity, integrity...and, of course, the pleasure of excellent company. 

Andale! Vale!




2 comments:

GroundedGirl said...

Have you read "Eat Pray Love" yet? You'll want to take off for Bali... It's the perfect virtual escape. Love your blog!!!

Octavio Gonzalez said...

i like the idea of "embracing the spirit of mobility"! i want to do that too... my world tends to shrink too much, also....