Saturday, June 14, 2008

Put the Book Down and Back Away (Part 1)


The advances that have been made in diagnosing and treating MS in the last 30 years alone, are heartening and impressive. Yet, in so many ways, MS remains a mystery and has generated many theories of how to best and most successfully manage the disease. The sheer volume written on, for example, possible dietary solutions, overwhelmed me. Moreover, the dietary principles are often not just contradictory, but also controversial and based on personal testimony, not scientific studies. To name just a few of the options:  federal nutritional guidelines,  anti-inflammatory diet, and the gluten free diet.

My initial reaction while reading a book on the gluten free diet, was panic. I felt an immediate urge to rush frantically around to toss the loaf fresh farmer's market whole wheat bread, the stack of tortillas, and the package English muffins. I felt the franticness of imminent, immediate, and unthought-out radical change. 

Ultimately, though, I resorted to a motto that I had created to respond to self-help induced panic of any sort: Put the book down and step away

I am not ready for radical change just yet.

I do know that I make many healthy choices. For instance, a snapshot of my meals on Saturday included for breakfast a fresh fruit salad with a dollop of yogurt, for lunch a veggie burger on a bun with avocado, blue cheese, and veggies, and for dinner a vibrant black bean salad with onions, tomatoes, corn, and beets seasoned with lime juice, cilantro, and a jalepeno over a bed of mixed spring greens. 

If this were the whole story, I would be good to go. 

Unfortunately, my complete dietary picture on Saturday also included: a giant piece of chocolate cake (split with a friend); a 16 ounce soy caramel mocha latte, a 24 ounce soda, 1 Stouffer's french bread frozen pizza, splitting a 32 ounce soda with a friend at the movies, and finally, as a late night snack, a small yet decadent brownie and a tall glass of soy milk.  

Since I struggle with a serious and significant weight issue, which complicates any dietary goals I might set to handle the MS, my first and most sensible step is, I think, to observe my current patterns and commit to small changes first. More specifically, I am a big believer in a strategy I developed a few years ago called, to the left. Since it as as easy for me to reach for whole wheat pasta as it is for white, I reasoned, why not choose whole wheat? 

This strategy has worked well at the super market, where I can, and do, choose the healthier option. Yet, I find in certain settings and for certain motivations, I do not resist temptation. I often make choices based on convenience, a desire for comfort, to combat stress, and as a way to socialize. 

There are, of course, many to the left options that I could utilize including: downsize by one or more portion sizes, switch to calorie-free beverages; eat mini-meals instead of snacks In terms of stress, Moreover, I could choose to handle my stress in the following to-the left ways: take regular stretch breaks, stop working while I am ahead, plan a regular daily play and self-nourishing activity.  

I am not ready just yet to commit to a course of action, even if they are baby steps, but I have strategies in place to choose from when I am ready. 

No comments: