Sunday, May 17, 2009

Dance, Dance, Dance!

Last night, there was a band in town I wanted to see. Afromotive, an afrobeat band from Asheville, North Carolina, was playing at a local bar. One fan described them as, "James Brown went to Africa". A combination, then, of traditional African music with funk. I definitely wanted to check them out. When I couldn't get any of my friends to join me, I hesitated. Well, I am tired anyway, I thought. Plus, I can't go to a bar alone, right? And, then, I went.  I hustled through the rain, paid the $4.00 cover charge, and entered the crowded bar around 10:30. They were good, really, really good. The musicianship--two trombones, keyboard, bass guitar, traditional drums, and a drum set, was top notch and the joint was jumping. I was there alone and I got up the guts to dance within a few minutes of walking through the door!  I danced, I grooved, and I moved. And, then, just before 1:00 a.m., I headed home. I felt revitalized and rejuvenated. 

Lately, I have felt like a tree spreading out her roots in search of more nutritive soil. And, I have been taking note of moments and hours, even, like last night, when I feel fully nourished. My friendship circle has been expanding, I have been taking more risks, and I have been rewarded with the joys that growing and stretching can bring. I've been channeling the bravery in me that I know that I have and I am realizing that bravery is a muscle that must be exercised.

Amen, Amen, Amen!

No comments: